Microneedling is a form of collagen induction therapy which is a great way to fade acne scars, fine lines, and keep skin looking youthful overall.
We’ll discuss more details about microneedling and what important microneedling aftercare steps to take so you can take care of your skin after your microneedling session.
Benefits Of Microneedling
There are numerous benefits of microneedling such as:
- Increased collagen production
- Firmer feeling skin
- Improved Appearance of Acne Scars
- Fading away hyperpigmentation
- Reduced fine lines
- Reduced Stretch Marks
- Smoother skin texture
- Increased product absorption
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling (1) is known as collagen induction therapy. It’s where several clean micro needles are pressed into the skin. This procedure is done to improve the appearance of acne scars by increasing collagen production by creating microholes on the skin. Microneedling is often done by a professional in a clinical environment however home options with shorter needles like the ones from Banish are available too.
Microneedling works by making controlled micro skin injuries. The body will respond to these injuries by sending collagen and elastin to heal the “injured” area. In other words, the collagen and elastin will not only heal the damaged area but also the areas around it, eventually smoothing out acne scars, and diminishing fine lines by promoting elasticity in the skin and repairing the skin’s foundation
Microneedling is mostly used on the face and may treat various scars (except keloid scars).
For in office microneedling treatments, your doctor would provide detailed aftercare instructions on what to do after microneedling, so make sure you follow all aftercare instructions they provide you with.
During the initial microneedling session, it is normal for skin to become a little red.
If you are doing microneedling yourself, these aftercare guidelines below can be followed.
Microneedling aftercare tips:
- Sun Protection: You should reach for sunscreen constantly for the first 2 weeks after microneedling. Make sure to apply sunscreen anytime you go outside in the days following your treatment. Immediately after microneedling, apply at least SPF 30 or greater sunscreen to your skin.
- We recommend a physical based sunscreen if possible because it’s more gentle. Sunscreen should be worn everyday regardless, but it is extra important to protect your healing skin from sun damage during the recovery process.
- Avoid Sun: Don’t spend prolonged time out in the sun for the first week after your microneedling procedure, as you’ll be more prone to sun damage than usual. It’s best to avoid intentional and direct sunlight for 24 hours.
- Stay Clean: Wash your hands before touching your face and avoid touching your face for the first 24 hours.
- No Makeup: We recommend you do not apply makeup for 8 hours after microneedling with the Banisher. In addition, make sure you use freshly washed brushes if you decide to apply makeup.
- Avoid Sweating: You’ll also need to avoid swimming pools, saunas, and situations where you might sweat heavily, including intense workouts at the gym, to protect your newly treated skin. With the Banisher, you can do these activities after 24 hours, but if you have particularly sensitive skin you may want to wait up to 72 hours, it really depends on how your skin takes it and responds. Signs of sensitivity include skin that easily flushes and turns red, and feelings of itching or stinging.
- Apply Serum: Vitamin C serum can be applied afterward as vitamin c is necessary to synthesis collagen, but avoid using very high concentration of vitamin C as it may be irritating.
- Avoid Prescription products: Make sure not to apply strong prescription acne products right after microneedling. Wait at least 24 hours or longer to apply any exfoliating products. The point is to be gentle and not use ingredients that would either irritate or increase turnover of skin until a day or two later.
- Hydrate Skin: Skin may feel a little dryer than usual after microneedling. Use something gentle like the Vitamin C Creme to keep skin moisturized as it heals
- Gentle cleanser and tepid water.
- Gentle, natural ingredients. It’s important to be gentle and minimalistic after microneedling so there’s time for skin to recover.
Make Sure To Avoid:
- AHAs, BHA, Retinol and scrubs
- Highly fragranced skincare – fragrance is known to be irritating.
- Using a physical brush such as a spinning brushes when cleansing the following day
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER MICRONEEDLING?
Here are things you may expect after getting your microneedling treatment done during the healing process.
Skin tends to get rid after microneedling which is a normal side effect. The redness will last a few hours and tends to go away by the next day. Other common side effects could include some tingling sensation, and skin may feel a little bit drier as it’s healing and exfoliating.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT MICRONEEDLING
There may be some of the questions that pop into your mind every time you hear about microneedling.
Can I microneedle over active acne?
No, do not microneedle over active acne, I repeat do NOT microneedling over acne acne. Make sure you avoid active acne – including blackheads and whiteheads – do not derma roll or microneedle if you have active acne. This can cause bacteria to spread.
Can I Microneedle while pregnant or breastfeeding?
Microneedling itself isn’t recommended while pregnant because the healing process may take away some resources in the body on repairing skin.
Are microneedling results permanent?
Yes, it is to an extent. Given that the skin continues to age, we must continue to take care of skin as maintenance. However, the results are permanent unlike fillers which dissolve over time.
How long is the downtime?
Home microneedling is considered a no downtime treatment. You can already apply makeup the next day after using the Banisher, but please wait at least 8 hours before doing so.
Microneedling at home should have a rest period of 1-2 weeks so your skin has time to heal before doing another session.
In office microneedling may have a downtime of 3-7 days depending on your procedure and how aggressive it was.
A great microneedling aftercare routine is going to make the biggest difference in your skin. Radiant, glowing skin with a reduction in acne scars can be achieved when you make the commitment to taking care of your skin when following all the instructions of your microneedling tool with the proper aftercare.
Taking care of your skin after microneedling can make a huge difference in the results you get. Not only will proper aftercare give better results, but you’ll also be protecting your skin from damage as it heals.
Results will still vary from person to person so it requires patience as well. While acne scars may still remain, they can be improved and remember that there is no such thing as perfection!
Microneedling of Scars: A Large Prospective Study with Long-Term Follow up
“How Much Does Microneedling Boost Product Absorption?” from Cadogan Clinic: https://www.cadoganclinic.com/how-much-does-micro-needling-boost-product-absorption