Here are the top 3 steps to get glowing skin that really work!
- Add Vitamin C Serum into your skincare routine
- Protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays with a mineral sunscreen
- Use an at-home microneedling device to help products absorb and for stimulating the formation of new collagen in the skin
When to apply Vitamin C serum
You can apply Banish Vitamin C Serum both in the morning and at night, following your cleansing and toning routine. One study suggested applying a Vitamin C serum every 8 hours, but twice daily will suffice.
Since ultraviolet (UV) light lowers the skin’s Vitamin C levels, research from 2013 Trusted Source shows it’s best to apply topical Vitamin C after being exposed to UV light, not before.
So if you’re spending time in the sun, slather on a Mineral sunscreen like The Banish Defender SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen beforehand and plan to apply your Vitamin C serum after for naturally glowing skin.
How to apply Vitamin C serum
First, you’ll want to test the product to make sure your skin doesn’t react negatively to it. Here’s the three step process:
- Choose a small area of skin that’s easy to conceal (the inside of your wrist is a good location)
- Apply a small amount of product, then wait 24 hours.
- If you don’t notice any side effects, the product is safe to apply to your face. Do not use it if you develop a rash, redness, hives or feel itching or burning on the test site.
Once you are ready to apply, check the product label for detailed instructions. Typically, you will apply twice a day after cleansing and toning, then put moisturizer over the Vitamin C serum.
Accessories to apply Vitamin C serum
There are a number of tools you can use to apply Vitamin C serum:
- Banisher 2.0. When used in the evening, up to once per week, the patented Banisher 2.0 microneedling tool stimulates collagen in skin to help reduce acne scars, fine lines, and dark spots in combination with the Banish Vitamin C Serum to naturally reduce the appearance of old or new acne scars or hyperpigmentation by stimulating collagen renewal without downtime. The 24k gold plated bristles press down evenly on the skin for controlled pressure. Use the Banisher first, then apply the Banish Vitamin C Serum afterwards.
- Gua sha tool. This ancient Chinese technique is used to stimulate the facial fascia to increase skin circulation, remove blockages, and increase blood flow. Gua Sha tools can be paired with any serum to help the tool glide more effectively over the skin and make absorption more effective.
- Jade roller. Like gua sha tools, jade rollers can help increase circulation, depuff skin, reduce inflammation, and expedite product absorption.
- Ionic wand for face. Using ionic technology, an ionic wand opens up the pores to help “push” active ingredients within a serum deep into the skin for better penetration and absorption.
Frequently asked questions
What does Vitamin C serum do?
Vitamin C can help to minimize the signs of aging, protect against skin damage, reduce discoloration while giving you glowing skin, and more!
Is Vitamin C serum really worth it?
Vitamin C is a versatile skin care ingredient that may be able to improve your skin’s appearance. Whether that sounds valuable to you depends on your skin care needs and overall budget.
How often should I use Vitamin C serum?
You can apply it once per day. Or you can even apply twice daily — once in the morning and again at night. You’ll be sure to wake up with glowing skin in the morning!
What percentage of Vitamin C is best for the face?
Look for a formula with at least 10 percent vitamin C and a maximum of 20 percent. Anything less may not be effective. Anything over 20 percent could lead to irritation — and research says the benefits of vitamin C don’t increase after that threshold anyway.
What Vitamin C is best for oily skin?
Vitamin C in the form of L-ascorbic acid may be the best option for oily skin, because it’s both lightweight and water-soluble so it would most likely be in a water based formula.
What Vitamin C is best for combination skin?
Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate is a form of Vitamin C that may work well for combination skin. It’s known for being able to prevent the oxidation that causes blackheads, but it also has hydrating properties.
Why do I need sunscreen for glowing skin?
Sunscreen is important to use all year, not just when outdoors at the beach or swimming, etc. Sunscreen protects your skin from UV damage and environmental pollutants. If you have acne-prone skin and/or acne scars, the active blemishes will become irritated without protection from sunscreen, and any pre-existing scars are prone to hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin) due to sun exposure for any length of time without sunscreen. To have glowing skin, it is important to protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays and environmental pollutants that can cause skin damage.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is also referred to as Collagen induction therapy (CIT), dermarolling, or skin needling that involves repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny, sterile needles. The Banisher 2.0 is the safest way to microneedle the skin at home, because it is a controlled stamping motion, rather than rolling on the skin which can possibly cause tears in the skin that are irreversible.
How does microneedling help to give me glowing skin?
Microneedling creates tiny channels in the skin called ‘micro injuries’ which help products to penetrate deeper. This process also encourages cell turnover and stimulates collagen renewal. Microneedling is also one of the most effective ways to treat acne scars.
Is microneedling safe?
Yes, absolutely. When instructions are followed as provided, you will absolutely benefit from microneedling treatments at home. The Banisher 2.0 is designed to be safe, as it has 24K gold plated bristles that are 0.5mm, specifically for at-home use. When used in combination with Banish Vitamin C Serum, they help you to achieve healthy and glowing skin. If you need deeper microneedling treatments, then it’s safer to do those in office.